Monday, February 14, 2011

Weekend to Beat

This has easily been one of the best weekends of 2011. Granted, there've only been seven so far, but this one has been phenomenal. Here's why:

1. This past Friday night was the C2 Ministry's annual Valentine's Day Social. It was LEGIT. The guys decorated the student center for all the ladies and made desserts as well. Then we treated them to some hilarious videos/skits and some meaningful poetry.

Then came the dance party.

Ada and Me




Your V-Day DJ


Whitnee and Me
The party was off the chain and was then followed by the obligatory late-night trip to "casa de waffles". The perfect ending to the best V-Day social ever. 

2. The following morning, I went to my cousin's swim meet at UT's new aquatic center. There was a crazy amount of people - way more than I expected for a high school swimming meet. Turns out it was the state competition and therefore pretty serious. My cousin did well and it was great to get to see him.

3. After the swim meet, four of us went to a local nursing home to visit with the residents. I'll be honest. Before we got there, I wasn't too excited about it. I always get a little nervous before these things because I'm afraid I'll do something stupid or just not know what to say. This was not the case this time around. It was fantastic. 

Most of the epicness of the venture to the nursing home was getting to meet this fine lady, Geneva. 
She was full of joy and rich stories. She told us tales of her illness that led to her permanent residence in the nursing home, her experience with the Holy Spirit, her daily routines in the nursing home, and some of the tales of her youth. They were all completely fascinating and left the heart and ears wanting more. 


Ms. Geneva


Ms. Geneva was a joy to meet. I saw her again just today as a friend and I went to take her flowers for V-Day, but she was fast asleep in her afternoon nap probably dreaming of being back on her farm with her family. 

Finally, my weekend ended with two more bits of awesomeness.

4. For those of you who don't know, I broke my foot about 4 weeks ago while playing racquetball. While the break was not so bad, the crutches and pain of limping around everywhere certainly was. I mention all of this to say that today, since the weather was incredible, I decided to give some outdoor physical activity a try and headed to the tennis courts. My friend Daniel and I tore it up - well... I don't know if you could say we "tore it up", but we had fun at least. We played for over two hours: just hitting, practicing serving, and then finally a few games.




I can't accurately put into words how much I love playing tennis. It really is one of my favorite things to do - it gets me so pumped up. I feel physically better after playing and I'm always in a better mood post-tennis.

5. Last, but certainly not least, my community group met for the first time tonight and it was awesome. I'm "leading" an all-guys group. I say it like that because I know that this is going to be a great group of strong Christians brothers that is going to be led by all of us. There were only four of us tonight but we're already a solid group. We talked about our goals for the group and we're already off to a great start. I'm really, really excited to see what God is going to do through this group of guys.

So that's it! The best weekend of the 0-1-1 so far, son! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. As your editor I have to point out that you write that it's the best weekend of 2010. Wrong year. I'm very proud of you for the nursing home visits. You get that initial apprehension from me.

    ReplyDelete