Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Haiti Mission Trip - Countdown: 9 days

This spring break (March 12-19), I'll be headed down to Haiti for a mission trip with Calvary Baptist Church. Much planning and praying has been done and our plans are slowly but surely coming together.

I really don't know what to expect upon our arrival. I've heard of the current conditions and seen the pictures of the immense damage, but I'm sure that a first-hand encounter of the wreckage will be something that can't be accurately described through media channels. 

The team on which I will be serving will be working in Thomazeau, Ouest, Haiti. 
As you can see, it is fairly close to the capital, Port-au-Prince. In Thomazeau, we will have two or three sub-teams. One team will be a construction group which will be building a house for a family in Thomazeau, the other two teams will be working with kids either at the town's orphanage or at the new Christian school that has just recently been built.

I'm really pumped about being able to go to Haiti and help out with rebuilding the buildings and lives that were so suddenly destroyed by the earthquake that hit just a little over a year ago. I almost feel like the dark reality of it all will, in a way, break me down as well. I'm so comfortable here in America and I'm craving the discomfort and the reality of a life that doesn't revolve around the pursuit of financial security.

Here's a prayer list of things that you can be praying for now and while we are in Haiti. We can use all the prayer we can get, but don't forget that the Haitian people need your prayers daily.

  • pray for the three major teams: one is a medical team in Port-au-Prince, one will be in the DR, and one in Thomazeau
  • pray that our travel to, from and in Haiti will be safe and that the things we take with us that we need while working in Haiti will not be lost along the way
  • pray that God would prepare our hearts to do His work in Haiti
  • pray for that our team members will remain healthy while in Haiti and will not contract any diseases
  • pray for the people that we will encounter - that their hearts would be open to hearing the gospel
  • pray that God will work through us in these places and that His name will be made more famous and that His glory will shine in Haiti


I'm sure I'll think of some more prayer concerns, so check the posts that will be coming up as the countdown to Haiti gets closer. Thanks for your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Sam: You know I'll be praying for you from now until you're back at school after Spring Break. I love you and admire your dedication to God's work and to loving people. And a Mom question or two - Had all your shots? And do we need to buy anything that you need for the trip?

    ReplyDelete