Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Portland, OR Adventure: Planning Stage

A few months ago, I saw on Donald Miller's website that he would be hosting "The Storyline Conference" in his hometown of Portland, OR. At the time, I simply thought that it would be really cool to go. Now, I'm thinking I will go.

My friend Stephanie and I are huge fans of Donald Miller's writing and so we've decided to take advantage of this opportunity and head up to Portland and listen to one of our favorite author's thoughts on living out a storyline that will make a difference, not just for ourselves and for those who are in need, but ultimately for the glory of God.

Last night we made our plans. Since we're going to go all the way to Portland, we might as well make the most of it. So, to start off, we're going to take an Amtrak train from Memphis, TN all the way to Portland, OR. Sure, we're looking at a 55 hour train ride, but a train ride cross-country? There's the selling point. There's no telling what beautiful countryside we'll get to see as we go through the midwest, then we'll definitely be passing through the mountains as we make our way up to Oregon. I'm pumped about it. 

The northwest is one of my favorite areas in the United States. I've been to Washington state before, and loved every minute of it. It's easily one of the most beautiful parts of the world. So take that, throw in a road trip with a friend, add in a 2 day conference with Donald Miller, and you've got the best trip of the summer. I can't wait.

So after planning and consulting the magic eight ball concerning Stephanie's likeliness of dying on the plane ride home, we decided to cross the line of no return and start making definite plans. To make things even more promising, upon waking up this morning, I had a text from Stephanie - she had been @-replied on twitter from Donald Miller himself! It was completely legit, and our sign that our trip to Portland is now part of our destiny. Now if I can only get him to @-reply me... (a personal goal of mine).

Anyway, I'll be sure to document our trip via photos, blogs, notes, etc. when the time comes. For now, we wait in anticipation for an amazing adventure.

1 comment: